My feedback video on the latest Citizencon panel (ShipSounds)
(disclaimer: I am only talking about the stuff I do not like, because talking about the stuff I like would make the video three hours long)The key points I would like to make:
- The pilot should be more isolated from engine/thruster sounds, because the main thrusters are 80 meters away from the pilot.
- The sounds are like an intrusive HUD message, it is too much information and the opportunity for locational audio is not used to its full potential (while it is used with fantastic effects on other ship sounds).
- The intrusive engine/thruster sounds push aside investigative gameplay, because the player is not given opportunity to listen to faint engine rumbles or ask a crew member, or check MFDs for thruster problems.
- The overheat and surge sounds sort of sound the same for all ships and their overbearing location and volume pushes the natural unique soundscape of each ship aside.
- The further the listener is from a thruster (and the more metal is in between), the more the creaking and vibration sounds should drown out the raw thrust sounds.
Thank you for watching our panel! All of your points listed in the post are valid in my opinion. Achieving this sense of size, scale and distance with the large ships is something we’re constantly working on, and they are definitely nowhere near the state we want them to be at yet :slightly_smiling_face: They’re an entirely different sound design challenge than the smaller craft, but we’re working on it, and time is scheduled in for the audio team to look at the sound experience of the larger ships specifically.
Thank you very much for your helpful constructive feedback :slightly_smiling_face: