The input system itself isn’t overtly horrible, unrealistic arcade video game yaw-preferences aside. I quite appreciate the existence of the ability to map actions to input in an XML format. Unfortunately, though…
- Documentation and functionality seem to be hit-and-miss… making it much more difficult to test features and functionality on our end.
- Some joystick inputs (like buttons) cannot modify other joystick buttons natively… crippling HOTAS/HOSAS systems.
- Some modifiers that “take” remain non-functional.
- Some modifiers have ordering requirements in order to work… sometimes.
- Some intuitive expected actions seem to be… missing (i.e. toggles exist, but no distinct on/off state).
- Some input values default… inverted from expectations.
- Some input curves do not always seem functional, or are not as functional as third party software enables them.
- Input numbering sometimes randomly… moves. Even though the game seems to know devices by GUID.
At this time, it’s livable. None of these input issues are currently game-breaking issues, and might even be low enough priority it could head into true beta as is.
Yeah, those are all good points and a lot of them are tasked up … it’s just hard to schedule them in as there are a lot of bigger fishs to fry first. We are trying to do smaller incremental updates when possible though.